Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Love and hate and Roasted Red Pepper Soup!

OK as this blog testifies I LOVE food , but there's a bit of love and hate thing involved in our relationship - I am an overweight Type 2 diabetic who was diagnosed some 6 years or so ago when I very brilliantly failed the medical for a job I had just been offered! Times I have said "Feck it" and muddled along as normal, but having had a very sick January and the threat of insulin shots loomimg I headed to Weightwatchers the Thursday before Easter henceforth known as the feast of chocolate!

To date I am pleased to report I have lost 25 1/2 pounds and it hasn't been that much hardship. (Tip of the iceberg though and only about half way there!)

OK the weight loss is fantastic but the health benefits have been enormous - my blood sugars are now NORMAL and I no longer have the threat of insulin shots looming, my tablets have been reduced from 11 per day to 5 now and my blood pressure has gone from a very high to normal. And I have done it WITHOUT resorting to WW or other brand ready meals -Most days I have porridge with fresh berries for breakfast, maybe a slice of brown soda bread with a banana round 11a.m., lunch could be some homemade soup or a sandwich or a salad. Dinner is mostly always homemade and never just "rabbit" food - I eat out regularly and successfully fit it into my weight loss program.

We eat well and enjoy what we eat!

This is a fabulous soup which I have put together from a few recipes to get one I liked. And for someone like myself battling the bulge very low on calories - if you're doing Weightwatchers it works out about 1 Propoint per serving if you use Low cal spray oil or give it 2 pp's if you use REAL OIL (my preference!)



What you'll need:

4 red peppers, deseeded and cut in half.
Either a sprinkle Olive oil or Low cal spray oil
1 large onion, diced.
2 to 3 Garlic cloves, crushed.
1 chilli, chopped. I use whatever colour I have be it red or green.
300mls Passata.
600 mls vegetable stock.
2 tablespoons chopped basil.
Few basil sprigs for garnishing.

What you'll need to do:

Preheat oven to 180C Fan.
Rub the skin of the peppers with a dash of olive oil and place skin side up on a baking tray.
Place in the oven for about 15 mins till the skin is charred.
Remove and place in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave for about 10 mins.
The skins can now easily be peeled from the peppers. Chop into smaller pieces.

Fry off the onion, garli and chilli in a little oil till softened but not coloured. Add the peppers, the passata, vegetable stock and bring to the boil stirring well.

Reduce the heat and simmer for about 10 to 15 mins, adding the basil for the last couple of mins.

Puree in a food processor or with a stick blender till smooth.

Garnish with basil sprigs.

Absolutely delish!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment